Ponderosa Community Club
BOARD MEETING MINUTES
September 14, 2013 10:30 a.m. – at the Clubhouse
Board Members Attending:
- Daryn Wilbur – President
- Stan Morgan – Treasurer
- Bill Ham – Secretary
- Mary Cox – Association Manager
Absent: John McRoberts – Vice President
Vern Little - Director of Operations
General Members Attending: 4
The meeting was called to order at 10:31 a.m.
10:31 a.m. Pledge of Allegiance to the USA Flag
10:32 a.m. Approval of Prior Board Meeting Minutes – Minutes from August 31 Special Membership and August 10 Board meeting not voted on as Board did not have quorum present to approve. Delay approval until next Board meeting October 12, 2013 .
10:33 a.m. Treasurer’s Report
Overall we are in good shape – 63% of budget used vs. 67% of year gone by.
- Homeowner’s Dues – Great shape, so far have collected $10,000 more than this time last year.
- Watershed – No more expenses forecast the remainder of this year.
- M&O General – Over $6,000 for winter storm slash cleanup (total $12,000 but ½ reimbursed from DNR).
- Insurance – Over budget but no more expenses for the year and will come out okay at the end of the year.
- Office/Board – General office supplies, stamps and envelopes for Special Member’s meeting notification mailings.
- Accounting – Under budget but anticipate $4,000 expense for annual financial review.
Water Replacement Project Expenses :
- Road Paving Construction Inspection – Paid Forsgren $5,400 and expect one more billing but anticipate we will be $10,000 under budgeted amount.
Monthly Income & Expenses-Dedicated Items :
Past Due Summary :
- Everyone on track with exception of one member. Will send water shut-off notice on Wednesday. Balance is $1,500 better than this time last year.
- Nine homeowners are behind on 2 nd half dues. Have contacted all and will move to past due status next month.
- Will proceed foreclosure process on one undeveloped property.
Reviewed the Transaction Detail Report :
- Everything looks to be in order.
10:43 a.m. Old Business – Committee Reports
- Paving Gravel Roads – Mary reports for Jesse Perrault that the committee will have a draft ballot proposal by the October meeting date to reflect the will of the membership at the past Special Member’s meeting.
- Three Year Strategic Plan – Committee members: Bill Griffin (Chair), John Heighway, Jeanne Whitlow, Lois Pendleton, Mary Cox, Lorelie Olson, Ken Paauw. Next meeting is September 28 th at 9:00 a.m. at the clubhouse. Open meeting, all members are invited to attend. Board President expressed goals and expectations and Bill Griffin (Chair) explained their ideas and goals, next general membership mailing for 2014 budget, KRCI settlement issues and paving roads could contain a membership survey. Mary expressed an on line survey would be easier and much cheaper to conduct. Further discussion with Board after September 28 Committee meeting.
- Building and Grounds – Nothing to report.
- Social Committee – Labor Day weekend BBQ well received and special thanks to Jeff Robinson for cooking and Marisha Robinson for set up and supplies. Thanks also to volunteers Rose Ann McRoberts, Bill Allison, and Rick and Cindy Fowler for hosting the event and clean up.
- Watershed Committee – Nothing to report. Mary reports a pending contract for commercial logging/thinning of forest in Unit 1 property.
- Water Project Update – Good report from membership on August 31 Special Member’s meeting. Overwhelming support of membership for KRCI settlement and paving of gravel roads. Board will take this support under advisement for next month’s ballot mailing to the membership.
- Paved Road Repair Project – Granite will finish final items on follow up list next Wednesday. Currently working storm water run-off and bar ditches clean up after the recent heavy rains. This will be an ongoing project until the ground stabilizes after the road/water mains replacement project.
11:12 a.m. New Business
- Schedule mid-month Executive session for September 26 at 7:00 p.m. for further budget discussion and authorization if required.
- Fire District #4 Feedback on August 14 Palamino Fire – Ken will sign letter to respond with regards to new water system to include copy of plans, numbered hydrants and hydro analysis. End results are that new water system saved this community from having a level 3 fire evacuation. The homeowner and Fire Department expressed their praise of the new water system.
2014 Budget Planning :
- Budget 2014 – Member John Heighway spoke for 13 minutes about his assumptions of how this community is run and proposed a “new” way of business creating a second Board for essential services. He expressed his assumptions of how unefficient our paid staff has become in his view. The Board took note of his comments and suggestions. Be it noted that another member was totally insulted by his comments and ideas of non-performance by our current paid staff. Daryn asked that the meeting proceed with working on 2014 budget issues.
- Line Item Budget Discussions – For the next hour the Board discussed the proposed expenses for 2014 with actuals and budgeted expenses from 2012 and 2013. There are no surplus funds for 2014 from under budget expenses from previous year. Daryn stressed his desire that all budget requests would be at or lower than 2012 and 2013 budget with the goal of keeping homeowner’s dues at or near the 2013 amount. Realizing that some budget items beyond the control of the P.C.C. Board (ie: insurance, utilities) may increase, proposed budget items from Committees’ requests may be lower than previous years in the final draft of the 2014 budget. It was noted that payroll expenses have held steady for the past 3 years. No Committee heads were present to personally propose their budget requests, although several had written requests that reflected last year’s budget requests. All budget items will be fine tuned prior to final budget approval. Without the under budget surplus offsetting 2013 budget expenses, the current budget rolled over to 2014 would result in annual dues increase form $615/lot to $626/lot.
Association Manager’s Report :
- More noted speeding on Ponderosa roads and discussion on measures to curb this increasing concern. Storm water runoff items discussed for future Board considerations at the next meeting.
12:38 p.m. Adjourn to Executive Session
1:10 p.m. Reconvene From Executive Session – No items required voting.
1:12 p.m. Adjourn – Stan proposed to adjourn the meeting. Bill seconded, all in favor, meeting adjourned.