Ponderosa Community Club
BOARD MEETING MINUTES
September 10th, 2016 at the Ponderosa Clubhouse
Board Members Attending:
Ken Paauw - President
Shannon Stithem - Treasurer
Louis Kimmel – Director Of Operations
Tim Abel - Secretary
Brad Ulrich – Association Manager
(Vice President Doug Barga excused)
General Members Attending: 4
8:05 a.m. Approval of Prior Board Meeting Minutes – Board members reviewed hard copies of the August Board Meeting Minutes. Ken entertained a motion to approve the August 13thth Board Meeting Minutes. Shannon moved, Tim seconded, all approved.
8:07 a.m. Treasurer’s Report – Shannon reported we need to transfer $4544.56 from the M&O Reserve. While we are on track right now, next month will reflect ($1,000) insurance and ($600) accounting increases. Also, we need to replace a slider and garage door at the Caretaker’s facility while accounting for the $2000 spent on new tires for the snowplow truck. 41 members are past due on their HOA dues. (Last year there were 64.) 1 member is off track with payment plan. None of these items were budgeted for. Shannon suggested to the board that we might want to implement new policy which removes the payment plan option from members that are repeatedly falling behind. The Ponderosa will be filing a lien on property owned by a member that has passed away. The propane bill for the pool is over budget and the tank needs to be refilled. The board recommended closing the pool this Tuesday (9-13) to prevent further cost overruns. (Pool ordinarily closes the last day of the Labor Day Weekend so we managed to get a few more days out of the facility this year.) Ken entertained motion to transfer $4544.56 from the M&O Reserve Fund. Shannon moved, Louis seconded. Ken entertained a motion to approve the Treasurer’s report. Louis moved, Tim seconded. All approved.
8:12 a.m. OLD BUSINESS
- STREET SIGNS – Street signs are installed. We’ve had one street sign disappear already!
- ROADS AND REPAIRS – Don (from A&W - The chip-sealing company) came out and evaluated the repairs we need to have done to our roads. We are waiting for cost to decide how to proceed. Ken and Geno are working on ditches and culverts. These are planning to be done by the rainy season.
- WEBCAMS UPDATE – Webcams are installed but are currently awaiting programming.
- SOLAR SPEED LIMIT SIGNS – proved to be cost-prohibitive. ($3000-$5000 each.)
8:35 a.m. NEW BUSINESS
- IDENTIFY TOPICS FOR MID-MONTH EXECUTIVE SESSION – Ken suggested we hold a mid-month Executive Meeting to discuss budget, the ongoing drainage problems. The meeting date it TBD.
- AUTHORIZE INITIAL PAYMENT OF WATER PROJECT – The Board approved payment of $378,603.91 for the first payment in our loan (due 10-1-16) for the recent water project. The Board felt it more prudent to pay the $20 fee to have this amount of money wire-transferred. Ken entertained a motion to approve the transfer. Shannon moved, Louis seconded. All approved.
- BUDGET DISCUSSION
Buildings & Grounds requested an increase in the Committee budget ($4000 total) for more toddler toys on the playground, pool garden irrigation and clean-up, water damage in the clubhouse, additional ‘Ponderosa’ benches, additional lounge chairs for the pool deck and resurfacing the pitted floor in the women’s bathroom. Committee chair suggested we invest in a ‘shower tree’, a pre-rinse zone where swimmers can shower BEFORE jumping into the pool, as all swimmers should be doing now. Estimates run $600-$2000 before installation costs.
Maintenance & Operations – New backhoe door replacement (approx. $1300) and (approx. $2500) for brakes and additional repairs/replacements (sander and plow upgrades approx. $7000) to bring the new plow truck into service. Now that the Yukon has been sold, indications are that our fuel budget will be dropping considerably. Budget includes a new solar cover for pool and $1000 for tools and miscellaneous. Dust control budget goes to $0 with the recent chip-sealing of roads. New O&M water manual update ($12,000) will need to be included.
Signatures for Saddle Property re-classification – Still need more!
9:45 a.m. OPEN FLOOR – No questions or comments
9:47 a.m. Association Manager Highlight Report – New phone list being compiled. Brad reminded members we are still under a burn ban in the Ponderosa.
9:50 a.m. Adjourn to Executive Session. Ken entertained motion to adjourn to Executive Session. Shannon moved, Louis seconded. Meeting adjourned.
10:05 a.m. Reconvene from Executive Session – No voting required.
10:05 a.m. Adjourn August Board Meeting – Ken entertained a motion to adjourn. Shannon moved, Louis seconded. Motion carried.