Ponderosa Community Club
Board Meeting Minutes
September 1, 2012 09:05 a.m. – at the Clubhouse
Board Members Attending:
- Daryn Wilbur – President
- John McRoberts – Vice President
- Stan Morgan – Treasurer
- Michele Carter – Secretary
- Mary Cox – Association Manager
- Absent was Vern Little, M&O Director
General Members Attending: 7
The meeting was called to order at 09:05 a.m.
09:05 a.m. Pledge of Allegiance to the USA Flag
09:07 a.m. New Board Member approved (Michele Carter – Temporary Fill in for Secretary until the term ends in May, 2013)
John/Stan moved and seconded, all approved
09:08 a.m. Approval of Prior Board Meeting Minutes
Stan/John moved and seconded, all approved
09:08 a.m. Executive Session Report & Voting’s as Required. -- Real Estate Issues
Does not require voting
09:09 a.m. Treasurer Report
- Past dues summary list – total near $6,000.00 (2 nd half dues, about 8 members)
- We are now 45 days past due – letter goes out next week to shut off their water
- Vote next time to accept Treasurer’s report – since we do not have official report at this time. Because the meeting was moved up a week (from Sept 8 to Sept 1), we have not received the August bank statements.
09:10 a.m. Old Business
- Committee reports –Watershed Committee
- Watershed Fair – a big success – at the fair there was sign up for the cleaning of the river. Doug will report out this next month. (John)
- Stewardship Plan Tree removal - more trees possible – may cut this winter – need to break even to remove trees.
- As part of the water project, KRCI will start cutting trees next week (starting from Plain working up to Colt, some beyond Palomino) – should be done at the end of September. When this is complete, the DNR will finish our paperwork (LTA) for the Stewardship Plan tree removal. (Mary)
- Most members have positive attitudes of DNR cleaning tree and brush areas
- Road Paving Initiative– no responses yet – Mary will send out another note to encourage people to sign up. Those members wishing to sign up should call Chelcie. (John)
- Water project update
- Finished installing water main on Colt this week. All the water services are in on Corral and Shetland.
- All water mains are installed on the lower Ponderosa except for Palomino –
- Road Finish Crew will be start working next week to get the roads to a finished condition. They will start on the lower Ponderosa paved roads, then do the gravel roads. After that, they’ll do the remainder of the Ponderosa roads impacted by the water project.
- Claims from KCRI that we owe them money for extra time finding water utilities. Since it takes time to find the water utilities they have done overtime. Since they have been putting in the temporary services there has been no claims.
- KRCI is claiming we owe the $16,571.04 for this extra work.
- RH2 has recommended three options to possibly negotiate with KRCI (the board will discuss later this afternoon September 1, 2012)
- The cost of the roads – the chip seal person (Don from A&W Paving) says can chip seal to match what we originally have there – if there is hand patching then this will cost more. We will go out to bid next year on this.
- Gravel roads – 2 to 3 inches across entire road not just 6 inches in the trench areas – no extra cost – Mary asked the Board if this approach was acceptable and the board agreed.
09:29 a.m. Budget Review
- Mary to review clubhouse rentals and provide more data to the Board on number of rentals over the past two years – should we rent for each day or rent for each occasion?
- Leaving the air-conditioner on overnight can run up costs on the clubhouse – have community more aware of this if renting the clubhouse.
- Review Security to keep during the three holidays (Memorial Weekend, 4 th of July and Labor Day Weekend)
- Pro - There have been fewer complaints since the security has been hired.
- Pro – Since fires are allowed, security checks to make sure they are attended.
- Con – Do we really need security since the complaints have gone way down during these times?
- Con – Security costs us a total of $900.00 for the holidays ($300 per holiday.)
- A member suggested considering selling the 10 foot Walking easements and the 20 foot Horse Trail easements behind many lots for extra funding?
- Building and Grounds – increase to $2,500 (Daryn will talk to Vern)
- Watershed – get more info from Doug
- Social Committee – need more volunteers to help - (John get feedback from the Social Committee)
- Retain Xmas Decorating contest, but eliminate giving cash prizes. Budget of $150 will eliminate for this. Cut Xmas Un-decorating budget in the clubhouse (eliminate $150)
- Cut pantry stock – ($200.00 clubhouse pantry few)
- Quilter Club budget $100.00($8.00 a month for supplies.) - Keep
- Total Cut $500.00– total $1,625.00 budget – finalize at the next budget meeting
- Insurance – 4% increase - $16,850 – insurance audit ( the dump truck was not factored in at the time of the audit), and in general, insurance costs are expected to increase.
- Legal & Liens – cut budget by $8,000.00 – (no big projects, no bylaws review)
- Water project under its own fund
- Maintenance & Operations –
- General increase to $27,300.00 (to reflect the maintenance money pulling out of Building and Grounds Committee, pumping out the clubhouse septic) - deck side tables need to be replaced
- Pool – actual $6,000. (last year more issues compared to this year’s issues)
- Propane tank is now full so we won’t have that expense next year
- Roads – last year cut the budget for roads due to the water project – keeping budget the same $22,000.00
- Water survey – maintain at $12,000.00 – Stan suggested we perform tank inspection this year – Mary is checking on tank inspection cost, estimated at ($4500.00)
- Sanitary survey is $1,000.00 – Mary
- Payroll – board motions to leave the same as last year’s ($204,000.00)
- Property taxes - $2,500.00
- Utilities – internet service and garbage service have gone up $125.00 – ($14,625.00) – Mary/Stan
- Capital Improvements Reserve Funds will be 10% of our overall budget – We have surplus funding of approx. $3,500.00 to go back into the reserve due to the sale of the backhoe
- Total forecast budget apprx. $327,615
- M&O Reserve Fund – set aside 10% for M&O contingencies – apprx. ($495.00) – Mary checking
Daryn received an email from John Heighway for suggestions on cutting budget items – Daryn read the suggestions and the board agreed there wasn’t anything feasible in this email but appreciate the ideas. Letter given to Stan
Budget forecast should be completed and ballot sent to members by early November
10:53 a.m. - Board agrees virtual Executive Session meeting September 12, 2012 starting 19:00 p.m. – Next board meeting October 13, 2012 starting at 10:30am
10:55 a.m. – Association Mangers Report
Pool closing Monday – September 3, 2012
Rent machine to strip and wax clubhouse floor - get done in September
10:56 a.m. - Open Floor comment
Member – KRCI – stay on top of them about their schedule.
Member – Mary has done a great job with this water project – Kudos to her – likes the idea increasing the improvements like the water area by the river
Member – The KRCI claims how far behind schedule are they? Daryn – we issued them a letter to reminder them about the schedule. They are now approx. 2 weeks behind schedule – KRCI has added more people to catch up.
Member – how many property members are behind in dues – Mary not much - less than 2% is factor in.
11:00 a.m. ADJOURN