Ponderosa Community Club
Our Mission: The Ponderosa Community Club's mission is to create and maintain a safe and welcoming community which enhances recreational and residential living through active membership participation, visionary leadership, and commitment to sustainability and harmony with the natural environment.


Association Manager

Needler

Governing Documents

Forms

 

Ponderosa Community Club
BOARD MEETING MINUTES
July 14, 2012 10:30 a.m. – at the Clubhouse  

Board Members Attending:

  • Daryn Wilbur – President
  • John McRoberts – Vice President
  • Vern Little – Absent
  • Mick Mitchell - Absent
  • Stan Morgan – Treasurer
  • Mary Cox – Association Manager. Mary was assigned to record meeting minutes.  

General Members Attending: 1  

The meeting was called to order at 10:33 a.m.

10:33 a.m. Pledge of Allegiance to the USA Flag

10:35 a.m. Daryn announced Mick Mitchell has resigned his position. Daryn has spoken with a member who may be interested in filling the position through the end of the term in May, 2013. If anyone else is interested, please let Daryn know. We hope to have a new Board member by the August meeting.

The Board reviewed the Bylaws regarding a quorum, and decided a quorum was present because 75% of current board members were in attendance.

10:37am Approval of Prior Board Meeting Minutes – The minutes of the Board Meetings from June 9 were approved as corrected. Stan/John moved and seconded, all approved.

Executive Session Report & Voting as Required

No Executive Session was held since the last meeting.

10:39 a.m. TREASURER’S REPORT

In relation to the budget we are on track with expenses: 50% of the year has passed. YTD expenses are at 45%.

Special Notice to the Following :

  • A/R status update: Homeowners Dues – From May report, we have collected $1380 in past due. Will proceed to file liens on 2 properties, if dues are not paid.
  • Social Committee and Office/Board are over budget as compared to year, but will be on budget by year end.
  • Specifically Dedicated Funds Report – Capital Improvement expenses now shows $150,000 for loan repayment, as approved by membership.
  • We have implemented the employee approval reimbursement policy from the auditor: the Treasurer reviews and authorizes reimbursements.

Monthly Summary :

M&O Maintenance Account Balance -$103,472.62

M&O Reserve Account Balance - $ 34,031.22

Water Fund Account Balance - $270,011.38

Capital Improvement Account Balance - $215,930.58

Motion: John/Stan moved and seconded to accept Treasurer’s Report – All approved.

10:45 a.m. Committee Reports

Watershed Committee – John reviewed the report, which is attached.

Social Committee – John reviewed the report, which is attached.

Buildings and Grounds Committee – No report at this time.

11:00 a.m. Fines Discussion

The new Operating Procedures implemented a fine for illegal fires. Our attorney reviewed fire statutes and advises that PCC does have a right to impose fines for illegal fires. The Board proposes that it impose a fire ban period, which would follow the CCFD #4’s burn ban, but would be an additional and separate burn ban under the authority of PCC. Then, the language in the Operating Procedures would be changed from:

Section 17… Illegal Fire. A fire during the Chelan County Fire District #4 burn ban is defined as an illegal fire.

to: “ Section 17: …Illegal Fire. A fire during the PCC Board of Trustees imposed burn ban is defined as an illegal fire.

Daryn spoke with the fire department and they said the language would be fine.

A burn ban has not been implemented yet this year by the fire department. When CCFD #4 implements a burn ban, the Board of Trustees intends to implement a PCC ban at the next regular Board meeting.

Motion:Approval to change the Operating Procedures with the new language as noted above (Stan/John – all approved.)

Mary is to notify members of the language change and fine via the next Needler and group email. When future burn bans are implemented, members will be notified via the regular methods: signs, email, and the Needler.

11:15 a.m. A member reported a bear on their property on Camp 12 Road.

Members can call the Department of Fish and Wildlife to report bear sightings. PCC has reported bear sightings to DFW many times this year.

The Department of Fish and Wildlife officer was at the Ponderosa recently and noticed a number of garbage cans on the street.  He stressed that garbage cans and other food sources must not be accessible to bears – they will continue to be a problem if they can find food.  He also gave us a copy of a new Washington State law which prohibits persons from “negligently feeding” wild animals by leaving garbage out.  The DFW officer can issue citations to those who violate the law.

11:20 a.m. Road Paving Initiative

John presented a proposal (attached) with the goal to pave the unpaved roads without a special assessment or increasing annual membership dues. He recommended forming an ad hoc committee to carry out the project. Critical success factors include having knowledgeable volunteers. Strategies include using a forum on the Ponderosa web site (with a moderator) so the work is very visible, transparent, and encourage participation by members. The Treasurer will be the liaison to the committee. First steps are to create the committee, announce the committee, and ask for volunteers. The Board will appoint a committee chair from those who volunteer for the committee. Discussion was held on how to involve those who don’t have computers. Information will be in the Needler and a copy of the forum could be printed and posted on the office bulletin board. If the committee needs a budget for expenses during their investigation, it could be charged to the current M&O Roads budget. The Board agreed to use the process John created.

The Board has approved contracting with our onsite RH2 construction inspector to evaluate our roads, as they are dug up, and give us a report of their condition, with recommendations on any improvements which may be needed (e.g., additional gravel base, etc…) Since the inspector is already onsite and inspecting, the cost will be minimized.

Action: Daryn appointed an ad-hoc committee called the Paving the Gravel Roads Committee.

Discussion occurred about adding another reader board – this would be an electronic reader board, which may be provided to PCC at little or no cost to us.

11:40 a.m. Three Year Strategic Planning

John presented a proposal for the strategic planning process (attached) which would take a minimum of 6 months. The goal is to identify strategies that will achieve our vision of what the Ponderosa will look like in three to five years. The process may include a survey of members. He recommended forming an ad hoc committee to carry out the process. Critical success factors include having knowledgeable volunteers. Strategies include using a forum on the Ponderosa web site (with a moderator) so the work is very visible, transparent, and encourage participation by members. The Vice President will be the liaison to the committee. First steps are to create the committee, announce the committee, and ask for volunteers. The Board will appoint a committee chair from those who volunteer for the committee. The Board will use the process John created.

Action: Daryn appointed an ad-hoc Strategic Planning Committee.

11:50 a.m. Water Project Update

Water Mains Expense Report Review

  • Mary presented an updated report, for the Board’s review. This report format will be used going forward.
  • Updated the Loan Eligible budget to reflect actuals, contracted numbers, or best estimates. The bottom line total expense number did not change.
  • Cost reduction change orders:
    • Construction contract reduced ~$36,000 because we are doing some of the work with PCC labor, and because one component substitutions were made.
  • Temporary water services: There is $30,000 in the construction budget which would cover 300 services. They may need to do 360 services, which would be a $6000 increase and would come from the contingency budget item.
  • Construction management and inspection.
    • KRCI has been working past 6pm, the agreed upon end of working hours. RH2 and PCC have been working overtime to accommodate. If this continues, we may be over budget $12,000 - $20,000 on Construction mgmt/inspection by the end of the project.
      • We have not yet had to hire a second inspector, but that is a possibility. (The Board discussed this when the original contract with RH2 was signed.)
    • The contract allows charging KRCI for overtime pay for RH2, if KRCI works beyond agreed upon working hours. The Board decided to implement this contract provision. Mary is to notify RH2 and KRCI that beginning Monday, July 16, overtime for RH2 will be charged.
    • PCC overtime will be billed to the water project eligible expenses.
  • Added Paving Repair at $70,000. This is a minimum estimate. It was based on laying chip seal over a 5 foot wide construction trench. In some areas, we may need to repair a wider trench.
  • Meters: The budgeted amount changed due to calculation error on RH2’s bid item list. Additional cost to us of $270.50. Original contract amount was $164,564.95. It should have been $164,835.45.

Motion: Approve the additional $270.50 for the water service meter contract with Ferguson Enterprises (John/Stan, all approved.)

  • We are using $3.5 million for the total loan amount as members approved the new assessment (rather than $3.35 million.)
  • Note there is a $1,009,442.66 reimbursement due from DOH. Of this, ~ $818,700 will go to KRCI.
  • Added Soils Testing to ineligible loan amount. Total estimate is $3300. This is a T&M contract based on 10 onsite visits for testing.

__________________________________________________________________________

  • KRCI has submitted claims totaling $9300. RH2 is reviewing the claims with KRCI and will make a recommendation to the Board on if PCC should pay, and if so, how much. We expect there may be a small payment.
        • RH2 is doing a very good job – quality, cost control, and teamwork.
        • KRCI appears to be committed to doing a good job and completing on time.
        • Water mains are on schedule w/ hydrants & blow off valves.
        • Services are about 1 week late in getting started – scheduled to start Monday on Pinto.
        • Above ground services seem to be making things go more smoothly, but they cannot be used in all places because they require a discrete area we can isolate.
        • Archaeological monitoring is starting Tuesday rather than Monday (budget item is Cultural and Historical Monitoring – 15 days of time are in the budget.)
        • Of the ~160 license agreements, we have 3 left to get. There are an additional 2 which we won’t be able to get (Chelan County’s lot and a bank repossession). For those, we won’t hook them up to the new water system.
        • Daryn asked about water pressure. In the design documents, Bill Schmidt stated that with the new water system, those with high pressure will continue to have high pressure, but those with low pressure should see some increase in pressure.
    • If homeowners are having a water problem, they should notify the office.

12:06 p.m . New Business

  • John asked if there would be interest in geo-caching and letter-boxing using the PCC trails. It would be limited to PCC members. John’s grandkids find it very interesting, and other kids would as well. Perhaps the Watershed Committee or Social Committee may be interested. John will send an email to those committee chairs proposing the idea.

Association Manager Report Highlights

  • Sold fire wood to 5 members for $225 total, which was credited to the Watershed Committee. All the firewood was sold.
  • Noxious weed control was performed along all the Ponderosa roads.

12:14 p.m. Member questions – none

12:15 p.m. Daryn asked for an executive session to discuss a possible liability issue. Motion: Move to executive session – (John/Stan, all approved.)

12:40 p.m. Meeting reconvened. No voting was necessary from the executive session.

12:40pm ADJOURN – Motion to adjourn. (John/Stan. All approved.)

            

 

 

 


Home
Board Minutes

Meeting Agendas

Financials

Ombudsman

Long Range Plan

Ponderosa Community Club
21100 Cayuse Leavenworth, WA 98826 secretary@ponderosacommunityclub.org
Washington State, USA

Copyright 2003 Ponderosa Community Club All rights reserved.
Back to Top