Current Board Minutes
Ponderosa Community Club
BOARD MEETING MINUTES
March 11th, 2017 at the Ponderosa Clubhouse
Board Members Attending:
- Ken Paauw - President
- Doug Barga - Vice President
- Tim Abel - Secretary
- Brad Ulrich – Association Manager
(Treasurer Shannon Stithem & Director of Operations Louis Kimmel excused)
General Members Attending: 9
8:02 a.m. Approval of Prior Board Meeting Minutes – Board members scanned the prior Board Meeting Minutes. Ken entertained a motion to approve the February 11thth Board Meeting Minutes. Doug moved, Tim seconded.
Executive Session Report - No Executive Session
8:03 a.m. Treasurer’s Report –Brad reported at 17% of the budget year we are at 13%. Property taxes are over-budget due to unexpected increases. It was reported there are still some stragglers with the first half of dues. Ken motioned to accept the Treasurer’s Report. Doug moved, Tim seconded.
8:14 a.m. COMMITTEE REPORTS
- WATERSHED COMMITTEE – New trail map was introduced with plans to install “You Are Here” locator maps along each of the trails. A tentative trail has been scratched out between the power lines and the Bridge Trail, the entire length of which, when complete, will be change from the Bridge Trail to the River View Trail. The River View Trail will allow members to walk off-road from any trail in the Ponderosa to the reader board. Plans are in the works to construct some sort of trail from the reader board to the flats of Plain. This will allow members to walk safely along a system of trails and reach ‘downtown’ Plain without having to travel along the dangerous Camp 12 road. Chair, Doug Pendleton, reported on the push to Firewise the Ponderosa. He reported the Ponderosa is a leader in this field and is now looking to the Plain community to create an upper valley Firewise district similar to, yet separate from, the currently existing Chumstick Wildfire Stewardship Coalition. This would open grants to adapt the upper valley to be better prepared and for fire. The Ponderosa has become a model community of how to live with wildfire and through the efforts of the Watershed Committee members, a grant of $1500 has been procured to remove danger trees on Ponderosa property in an effort to make roads remain clear during a fire event.
- SOCIAL COMMITTEE – Reported there will be a Game Night this St. Patrick’s Day (3-17). Easter Egg Hunt (4-15). New events like Line Dancing upcoming. The committee is still looking for someone to run the projector on one upcoming Movie Night. They will train! A request was made to have the events listed in the office and on the office door for members.
- BUILDINGS & GROUNDS – Nothing new to report and waiting until the snow melts to get busy strengthening the big toy, renewing the swing seats and buying the new adult/baby swing.
8:50 a.m. OLD BUSINESS
- PONDEROSA EASEMENT UPDATE – We are in the process of renegotiating the Easement Agreement due to clear violations of the old agreement.
- STATEGIC PLANNING COMMITTEE – No leadership as yet.
- NOMINATING COMMITTEE UPDATE – No leadership for committee as yet. Brad introduced two of the three candidates up for election this year: Mike Chamness, a full-time resident in the Ponderosa, and Kevin Weishaar, part-time resident of the Ponderosa. Each gave a brief summary of experience and reasons for wanting to serve on the Board.
- VOTE ON RESTRUCTURING PAYMENT PLAN – This is for the 19 people currently on a dues payment plan, 9 full-time residents and 10 part-time residents. The Board is considering ending the payment plan option altogether and, instead, installing a 10% finance charge and a 5% late fee to the bill of offenders. This topic has been tabled for the mid-month meeting.
- EMERGENCY BOOSTER PUMP SHELTER UPDATE – The county is requesting the Ponderosa do a Geological Study of the area before construction can proceed. Brad is looking into options that would forego the expensive study as this is basically an addition onto an existing building.
- REVIEW OF REPAYMENT PLAN OF WATER LOAN – Reported to be on track.
9:27 a.m. NEW BUSINESS
IDENTIFY TOPICS FOR MID-MONTH EXECUTIVE SESSION – Collection charges, personnel issues, easement negotiations and a review of by-laws were suggested topics.
ASSOCIATION MANAGER’S REPORT – No major equipment repairs required this winter. We did have a batch of bad mag-chloride (salt mixed into the sand) which caused problems with the sanding unit several times this winter. This appears to have run its course and is better now. The pool cover appears to have taken a beating this winter due to snow load. Brad reported there is no way to know the extent of the damage until the snow melts. All fire hydrants have been dug free of snow berms. The new web site is being worked on.
OPEN FLOOR – A mention was made as to the money Ponderosa members can save on home insurance rates due to our Firewise status. Check it out.
9:44 a.m. Adjourn to Executive Session. Ken motioned. Doug moved, Tim seconded. Meeting adjourned.
10:43 a.m. Reconvene from Executive Session – No voting required.
10:44 a.m. Adjourn August Board Meeting – Ken entertained a motion to adjourn. Doug moved, Tim seconded. Motion carried.