Ponderosa Community Club
Our Mission: The Ponderosa Community Club's mission is to create and maintain a safe and welcoming community which enhances recreational and residential living through active membership participation, visionary leadership, and commitment to sustainability and harmony with the natural environment.


Association Manager

Needler

Governing Documents

Forms

 

Ponderosa Community Club
Board Meeting Minutes
December 8, 2012 10:30a.m. – At the Clubhouse

Board Members Attending:

  • Daryn Wilbur – President
  • John McRoberts – Vice President (Absent)
  • Vern Little – M&O Director
  • Stan Morgan – Treasurer
  • Michele Carter – Secretary
  • Mary Cox – Association Manager

General Members Attending: 10

The meeting was called to order at 10:35 a.m.

10:35 a.m. - Pledge of Allegiance to the USA Flag

10:33 a.m. - Approval of Prior Board Meeting Minutes –

Daryn ask for accept to motion previous month meeting minutes - Vern moved, Stan 2 nd

10:34 a.m. – Executive Session - Daryn

Last month’s executive session was canceled

10:36 a.m. - Treasure’s Report – Stan

Income:

  • Running ahead of budget by $200.00 Should be about $1,200.00 by the end of the year

Expenses:

  • Under budget – used 86% of budget verses 92% by year end expired
  • Monthly income and expense report – reviewed / nothing to report
  • Month end cash statement review everything in order

Past dues:

  • $800.00 has finally been paid – someone had water shut off – lifted lien
  • Payment plans – Three resident is behind payment plan schedule – executive session to discus
  • Collected $917.00 during this past month – this brining outstanding dues down to a balance of $4,833.00

Check detail transaction report:

  • Checked on transaction detail report – reviewed and everything looks to be in order

Daryn – Capital improvements should be paid off after water project is finally completed.

Daryn ask for accept to motion budget report – Vern move, Michele 2 nd to pass report

Old business – committee reports

Road Pavement committee - Daryn

  • Postponed until January 2013
  • Meeting is scheduled for December 8, 2012
  • Roads that were paved will be repaired next year

Building Committee - Vern

  • Nothing new to report - thank you for the new furniture and floor in community club house

Water Committee – Doug (Stan reporting for Doug)

The following is a summary of our meeting held from 0900 to 1000 on Nov. 14th at my home in the Ponderosa. Committee members present included: Doug Pendleton, Pam Nicklas, Bill Whitlow, Bruce Merighi and Kate Tollefson(new member). Tom Bartlett was absent.

A progress summary was given for each sub-committee:

1. Noxious Weeds – Pam Nicklas, sub-committee Chair

After some discussion, we decided to expand the scope of this sub-committee to include all the plants of the Ponderosa, including wildflowers, native shrubs, and trees – even mushrooms…. Not merely the invasive, noxious ones we’d rather not have. Pam will continue to work with then Noxious Weed Board to develop a master plan for managing these unwanted species. She will also spearhead an effort to build upon the wildflower pamphlet we already have to create a “Plants of the Ponderosa” brochure to educate members. Bruce Merighi volunteered to assist. The schedule would be to prepare a draft brochure by spring wildflower season next year.

We also discussed converting the sloped planting area just north of the pool to become a “Plants of the Ponderosa Demonstration Garden.” Pam and her sub-committee will look into this as well.

2. Trails – Bill Whitlow, sub-committee chair

Bill reported that he (and Doug) has tried several times - without success- to reach Matt Rose, the professional trial designer and builder who had agreed earlier in the year to prepare a PCC Master Trail Plan. While we will continue to try and connect with Matt, Kate Tollefson, our newest committee member, related that she had a possible alternative organization that would work with us. Bill and Kate will pursue this lead in hopes to get work started early in 2013.

3. RiverSide Park – Tom Bartlett, sub-committee chair

In Tom’s absence, Doug reported that Tom had spearheaded (and personally lead) the effort to clear the riverside park area and limb up the many conifers. Slash was chipped and left on the ground as mulch. The next step is to create a concept park use plan. In light of the fact that Kate Tollefson, newest member of the watershed committee, has an MS in landscape architecture (UC Berkeley), Kate agreed to work with Tom to create a concept use plan for Riverside Park to present to members for comment this coming spring.

4. FireWise Program – Bruce Merighi, sub-committee chair

Upwards of 15 members have expressed an interest in the Personal Property FireWise Program, a national wildfire risk reduction program. Bruce Merighi, a professional wildfire risk management expert, has agreed to join the Watershed Committee to spearhead the PCC’s efforts this manage this all-important risk to our members and property.

In this meeting and in subsequent discussions, it is contemplated that a new Wildfire Management Sub-committee will be formed. The scope of the subcommittee will work toward the creation of a PCC Wildfire Risk Management Master Plan and will include the Community FireWise Program, the Private Property FireWise Program and the Ponderosa Area Wildfire Prevention Plan. Bruce will be sub-committee chair. Kate Tollefson has expressed interest in being on this sub-committee.

At a meeting which immediately followed the Watershed Committee meeting, Kate Koenig, Resource Specialist for Cascadia Conservation District and FireWise Program coordinator for NC Washington, as on hand to conduct FireWise assessor training and a demonstration of a home assessment. Bruce M., Kate T., and Doug Pendleton participated in the assessor training, and several PCC members were on hand to observe the home assessment Kate conducted (at the Pendleton’s home).

5. Forest Stewardship – Doug Pendleton, sub-committee chair

Doug reported on the 32.5 acres of non-commercial thinning completed in high-risk areas of the PCC, thanks to a grant from WA State DNR. He also reported that, pursuant to the PCC Forest Stewardship Plan, Richard Schellhaas, PCC Forester, is in the process of obtaining an LTA Permit (15-year logging permit), which will enable the PCC to proceed with thinning our overstocked forested greenbelt areas. It is hoped that we will obtain the LTA in time to have some areas logged this winter.

6. Watershed Fair – Doug Pendleton, sub-committee chair

The only topic discussed regarding the 2013 Watershed Fair – scheduled for Saturday, August 24 th, 2013 was the notion to shorten the Fair to 4 hours (10:00AM to 2:00PM) and eliminate the salmon BBQ lunch. Taking this action would lesson administrative and legal issues and allow Fair planners to focus on educational outreach. The discussion will continue.

Member – The beach is being eroded away due to rocks being used to build pools along the river edge. Signs will be put up to not to move rocks.

10:50 a.m. - Three years strategic plan – only one person on that committee

Social Committee – Mary

  • Christmas lighting judging will be done on December 23 rd, 2012

Nominating Committee – Daryn

  • Two open positions will be available in May 2013
  • Need volunteers

10:52 a.m. – Three Year Strategic Plan Committee – Daryn

  • Only one person on that committee – a board member cannot be on the committee
  • Need volunteers for the 3-year Strategic Plan
  • Board agrees to keep this on the agenda – should be a community type committee not a board decision

10:45 a.m. - Water Project Update – Mary

  • Sent a couple letters sent RH2
    • Liquidated damages stopped November 13 th, 2012 – water can be used
    • November 30 th 2012 – on site work completed
  • Radio transmitters installed in the water cell block’s lids were installed at the end of November. Our maintenance crew will go around in the spring to activate them.

Water System Upgrade to New DOH Regulations and Fire Protection (details of dollar amounts and other specifics can be found in the Board Meeting Minutes and monthly financial reports.)

  • KRCI completed construction on November 30.
  • Snow stakes are in place marking the water vaults. The fire hydrants are marked with flags.
  • Prepared financial reports for water project through October. The final water project reports showing final costs should be available in January.
  • Contract Administration – Prepared one reimbursement request from the State of WA.
  • KRCI submitted “claims” for additional costs and additional days. The Board and RH2 have reviewed and responded.
  • Roads - The paved roads will be paved/chip sealed in the spring or summer of 2013. We expect the roads may settle over the winter.
    • There will be a competitive bid process in the spring for paving/chip sealing. Funding will come from the water project loan.
    • For the gravel roads, the Paving the Gravel Roads Committee is investigating the issues including funding.
  • Submitted final archaeological monitoring report for Saddle to DOH. Received subsequent letter of completion from DOH.

Water System Maintenance and Operations

  • The monthly coliform water sample on November 27 tested negative for coliform bacteria and negative for E. coli bacteria, which means no bacteria were present.

Swimming Pool and Building and Grounds

  • Thanks to Bob & Nancy Melson, Buildings & Grounds Committee, for overseeing clubhouse improvements:
    • Refinishing of the clubhouse floor and upgrading some of the clubhouse furniture.

Roads and General Operations

  • We received our first snow in November and started the snowplowing season!
    • Earlier in November, Ken and Geno prepared our equipment for snowplowing: Dump truck, F350 pickup, bed sander, dump truck sander, snowplows, F250 pickup, and backhoe. Regular services were performed and repairs were made, as needed.
    • Installed studded tires on the F350, F250 and Yukon. Tire chains were checked and repaired, as needed.
  • After the water project was done, we focused on the roads by filling the many potholes including those on Stirrup, Saddle, and Cayuse. Because potholes have a way of “reappearing,” we’ll probably need to fill them again this winter.
  • After construction, most of the gravel roads are in good shape. However, some of those done late in the year, after the rains started, may be “soft” in places when temperatures are above freezing. Please avoid soft spots because driving on them will make them worse. Please notify the office of soft spots. Thank you.
  • Please obey the speed limit of 15 mph. It’s a safety issue for icy roads.

11:02 a.m. – New Business - Daryn

  • Executive Session with RH2 on December 14 th, 2012 – Wenatchee and Bellevue - report out to follow

11:11 a.m. – Next year dues -

  • Split dues – half due in January 2013 and the other half June 2013 by the Ponderosa Community members

Daryn ask for accept to motion – Vern move, Stan 2 nd to pass splitting of next year’s dues

11:18 a.m. – Member’s open Floor questions – no questions

11:19 a.m. – Break – waiting for ballots to be total – “Thank you for our volunteer ballot counters, Kathy Little, Damaris Barlett, Bobby Olson and Kate Tollefson!”

11:28 a.m. – Ballot results

  • Ballot Issue #1 – for 222 against 28
  • Ballot Issue #2 – for 205 against 46
  • Ballot Issue #3 – for 205 against 46
  • Two invalid ballots – torn embossments
  • Three comments on ballots

PONDEROSA COMMUNITY CLUB
2013 BALLOT ISSUES

Ballot Issue #1: Approve 2013 Budget – (included in this mailing) - $ 615 per lot.

Approve Proposed 2013 Budget for period beginning January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2013. Please remember that the proposed budget does not include the annual water assessment of $299 per lot. If the budget passes, the total annual payment per lot will be $ 914 per lot for 2013.

Ballot Issue #2: Approve Waiving the Annual Audit for 2013.

The Bylaws require the financial statements of the Corporation shall be audited at least annually by an independent certified public accountant, but the audit may be waived if sixty-seven percent (67%) of the votes cast by members…, vote each year to waive the audit. The Board thinks having an audit every seven (7) years is sufficient and cost-effective. An audit, as defined by our Bylaws Section 13.2, was conducted in 2012 at a cost of over $4000. The next audit would occur in 2019 if the membership votes, each intervening year, to waive the audit for the following year. Note: there is also a “financial review” conducted by an independent certified public accountant every year. (The Bylaws excerpt is below.)

PCC Bylaws Section 13.2 Audit.  

“In accordance with RCW 64.38.045(3), the financial statements of the Corporation shall be audited at least annually by an independent certified public accountant, but the audit may be waived if sixty-seven percent (67%) of the votes cast by members at a meeting of the Corporation, at which a quorum is present, vote each year to waive the audit. If the members do not waive the audit, the funding for the audit will be allocated from the Maintenance & Operation Reserve Fund (“M&O Reserve Fund”). If an audit has not occurred in the previous six (6) years, the Board shall have an independent Certified Public Accountant conduct agreed upon procedures in the seventh year. The agreed upon procedures (narrower in scope than an audit) would be determined by the Board with appropriate input from professionals of their choosing…”  

Ballot Issue #3: Approve allocation and expenditure of 50% of the annual contribution to the Capital Improvement Fund to paving the Ponderosa-owned gravel roads. This allocation would continue until all Ponderosa-owned gravel roads are paved.

Note: This measure will NOT increase member dues.

Each year, the annual budget includes funding for a Capital Improvements Reserve Fund in order to accumulate funds to finance future capital improvements needs.  The funding amount is 10% of the year’s planned maintenance and operations expenses.  Since 2008, the dollar amount has ranged from approximately $30,100 to $35,900. The current balance of the Capital Improvement Fund is $216,297 of which $150,000 has been budgeted for water project loan repayment, which leaves $66,297.

This measure would allocate half of the annual 10% funding to be dedicated to paving the Ponderosa gravel roads. The dollar amount for 2013 would be $16,377. This measure would provide funding without increasing member dues.

Note: This includes paving Ponderosa –owned gravel roads. Camp 12 Road (also known as Primitive Park Road) belongs to Chelan County and is not owned by the Ponderosa. The Ponderosa will work with Chelan County Public Works to convince them to pave the unpaved portion of Camp 12 Road. Currently, Chelan County designates the unpaved portion of Camp 12 Road as a “Primitive Road”.

Cost estimates for paving all of the gravel roads are still being developed. (As an example, in 2011, we received an estimate of $18,265 to chip seal Lariat which has an area of 20,000 square feet.) PCC has approximately 275,000 square feet of gravel roads to be paved.

The roads will probably be chip sealed, rather than paved with asphalt, however in 2011, there was very little difference in cost between the two.

11:32 a.m. – Any further comments – none

11:32 a.m. - Daryn ask for to accept motion adjourn to executive session – Vern move, Stan 2 nd

12:45 p.m. - Reconvene from executive session

12:46 p.m. - Approve pay roll for next year 2013 and extend payment plans for three members

Daryn ask for to accept motion for pay roll – Vern move, Stan 2 nd

12:47 p.m. - Daryn ask for accept to motion to adjourn membership meeting – Vern move, Stan 2 nd

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Home
Board Minutes

Meeting Agendas

Financials

Ombudsman

Long Range Plan

Ponderosa Community Club
21100 Cayuse Leavenworth, WA 98826 secretary@ponderosacommunityclub.org
Washington State, USA

Copyright 2003 Ponderosa Community Club All rights reserved.
Back to Top