Ponderosa Community Club
BOARD MEETING MINUTES
October 12, 2013 10:30 a.m. – at the Clubhouse
Board Members Attending:
Absent: Vern Little, Director of Operations
General Members Attending: 4
The meeting was called to order by Daryn at 10:35 a.m.
10:35 a.m. Pledge of Allegiance to the USA Flag
10:36 a.m. Approval of Prior Board Meeting Minutes – Daryn asked for a motion to accept the previous month’s September 14 Board meeting minutes and the minutes from the August 31 Special Membership meeting and August 10 Board meeting (September 14 meeting did not have a quorum to approve these minutes). John moved and Stan seconded – All Approved.
10:38 a.m. Treasurer’s Report - Stan
Budget in good shape. Ahead of budget by $5,000 as to % of year expired.
- $6,000 better dues receipts than last year to date. However, $7,900 owed by back dues members and most are on payment plans due by 12/31/13.
- New furniture for clubhouse (Buildings & Grounds).
- M&O General/M&O Roads, gravel and grading for Riata and Saddle repairs.
- Legal & Liens, $185 refund back from lien filed and closed.
Water Replacement Project :
Monthly Income & Expenses-Dedicated Items :
Month End Cash :
- CD matures December 12 – looking for new investment options.
Past Due Summary :
- Past due members on payment plans except three members behind and following up.
- Seven members are short on 2 nd half dues 2013.
- Two water shut offs for non-payment of dues.
- A bank bankruptcy was granted and working with bank for dues owed.
- Continuing process on property foreclosure on undeveloped property.
Transaction Detail Report :
- Checked report and everything seems to be in order.
Daryn asked for a motion to approve the Treasurer’s report. John moved, Bill seconded – All Approved.
10:44 a.m. Old Business
- 10:45 am – Finalize 2014 budget for ballot. The Board worked diligently with the Association Manager and Committees to look carefully at all expenses to achieve a realistic and accurate budget for 2014. Overall expenses decreased slightly, however, without an M&O surplus from previous year (2012) to offset dues, an increase of $9/year results in an annual dues per lot of $624 for 2014 vs. $615 for 2013. All line item expenses for 2014 remained at 2013 levels except for Buildings & Grounds, Watershed and Legal, which were reduced to achieve this budget proposal.
Daryn asked for a motion to approve the proposed 2014 budget. Stan moved and John seconded - All Approved.
11:50 a.m. Finalize Ballot Measures
- Ballot Issue #1 – The 2014 proposed budget is subject to ballot of the membership approval.
- Ballot Issue #2 – Approval to waive the annual audit for 2014. Waiving the audit would save the Ponderosa over $4,000. Per the Bylaws, a full annual audit is not required until 2019 (last 2012). A financial review is conducted by an independent CPA every year.
- Ballot Issue #3 – Approval for a $17/year increase of water assessment from $299/year to $316/year for life of loan (2035) and approve for $63,000 expenditure from Capital Improvement reserve to fund the water project loan repayment. Water project is approximately $212,000 over budget due to settlement with KRCI and our dispute with RH2 Engineering. Note, the Board is investigating options for cost reimbursements from RH2.
- Ballot Issue #4 – Approval of an assessment to chip seal (pave) the remaining gravel roads in the Ponderosa. Two options would be available for funding this assessment. #1, a one year assessment of $510/lot. #2, a two year assessment of $240/lot per year. An allocation from the Capital Improvement reserve of $16,400/year is currently funding the paving of gravel roads project. Paving would occur after full assessments are collected.
Daryn asked for a motion to approve the ballot issues. John moved and Stan seconded – All Approved.
12:11 p.m. Watershed Committee – Commercial Thinning Project
- Doug Pendleton of Watershed Committee has been working with our Forester (Richard Schellhaas) and Elite Logging to thin and commercial log our overgrown forests in Unit 1 and other greenbelts and reserves. A single contract with a single logging company to accomplish all logging, thinning, clean up and slash removal. A 60/40 revenue split would provide Ponderosa a 40% share of the sale proceeds directly from the mill of marketable timber (7” or greater). After much “what if” discussions, Daryn asked for a motion for the Watershed Committee to move forward with contract negotiations and to finalize costs, timber estimates and final details to Daryn for further Board considerations as we attempt to manage our forest resources at no cost to Ponderosa.
John moved, Bill seconded – All Approved.
12:25 p.m. Storm Drainage Discussion
- Recent heavy rains have resulted in surface water runoff issues of erosion, flooding and plugged culvert pipes. Caretakers have been steadily cleaning up storm water bar ditches and culverts in approximately 8 – 9 areas of our roads with 2 to 3 needing immediate attention. That work will continue as conditions permit. The Board feels further discussion and homeowner input are necessary for establishment of a policy statement to include culvert/driveway requirements if needed, maintenance of bar ditches, and managing storm water runoff. This will be an agenda item at a further Board meeting (December 2013). Homeowner input strongly encouraged.
12:40 p.m. Water Project Update
- Warranty issues with KRCI were discussed and possible settlement solutions studied.
12:50 p.m. New Business
- No Executive mid-month session required.
- No Association Manager’s report highlights to report other than what was presented in earlier statements of this meeting.
12:52 p.m. Members Open Floor
- One member voiced his satisfaction to road repairs on upper Saddle and Riata. Special thanks to Upper Valley Excavation for a job well done and under budget.
12:55 p.m. Adjourn to Executive Session
1:40 p.m. Reconvene From Executive Session – No items required voting.
1:41 p.m. Adjourn – John proposed to adjourn the meeting. Stan seconded – All Approved. Meeting adjourned.