Ponderosa Community Club
BOARD MEETING MINUTES
August 9, 2014 10:30 a.m. – at the Ponderosa Office
Board Members Attending:
- Daryn Wilbur – President
- John McRoberts – Vice President
- Doug Barga – Director of Operations
- Shannon Stithem – Treasurer
- Bill Ham – Secretary
- Mary Cox – Association Manager
General Members Attending: 3
The meeting was called to order by Daryn at 10:35 a.m.
10:35 a.m. Approval of Prior Board Meeting Minutes – Daryn asked for a motion to approve the previous month’s July 12, 2014 Board meeting minutes. No Executive session was scheduled for month of August. John moved, Shannon seconded – all approved. Motion carries.
10:37 a.m. Treasurer’s Report - Shannon reports over all on track with 58% year expired and at 58% of budget expenses. Collected 90% of dues income. Recent fire activities and evacuation notices may have contributed to delayed payments by members and dues payments are continuing to come in. Expense call outs are:
M&O Water at 94% of budget due to repairs and upgrades of lightning protection improvements. Estimated repairs were $4,800 and project completion came in at $3,000. There have not been any lightning caused failures since improvements completed. M&O Water expected to be over budget for year as Well #3 does require repairs. Cost estimates and required repairs are currently being evaluated. May need funds from M&O Reserve to complete Well #3 issues when M&O Water goes over budget. Utilities budget at 62% of budget due to insurance cost increase of $902.26 over budgeted amount. Postage on RH2 letter response to members was $300. Forest Management Funds, expect pulp log sales in August. Ladder fuel pruning expenses to Richard Shellhaas later in August and DNR will match expenses. Dedicated funds are continuing to be placed into their respective accounts. All past dues payments plans are on track. Budget process for 2015 will start next meeting September 13. Daryn asked for a motion to approve the Treasurer’s report. Bill moved, John seconded. All approved – motion carries.
Discussion followed Treasurer’s report on over budget items and using M&O Reserves to make up short falls. Daryn asked for a motion to move up to $3,000 from M&O Reserve to M&O Water. Doug moved, Shannon seconded. All approved – motion carries.
Daryn asked for a motion to move up to $2,000 from M&O Reserve to M&O Pool to fund heat pump purchased in May. Doug moved, Shannon seconded. All approved – motion carries.
Daryn asked for motion to move $902.26 from M&O Reserve to budget line item – Insurance. John moved, Doug seconded. All approved – motion carries.
11:00 a.m. Old Business – Committee Reports
- Watershed – Daryn reported for Doug Pendleton
Units 1 and 2 – Forest is now moving into dormant stage and Elite Logging will begin logging by mid September. Mulching continues in greenbelt Unit 7, then 11 and 4. Units 5, 6, 9 are done and Unit 8 forecast to be completed by a tree service to sensitive areas next to park and well heads.
- Social/Clubhouse Usage Rules – John McRoberts
Deferred report to next month.
- Buildings and Grounds – Mary reported that Nancy Melson has resigned as chairman of the Buildings and Grounds committee after twelve years of service to the Ponderosa. Lorelie Olson and Gina Wilkins have agreed to serve as co-chairmen of the committee for the remainder of 2014, and announce there is an opening for a chairman of the committee in 2015. Daryn asked for a motion to appoint Lorelie Olson and Gina Wilkins as co-chairmen of the Building and Grounds committee. John moved, Doug seconded. All approved – motion carries. Daryn announced that the Board will be looking for a new Building and Grounds committee chairman to begin in 2015. He also wished to thank Nancy for her many years of service, time, and efforts for the benefit of the Ponderosa Community Club. Daryn asked for a motion to approve a gift certificate – up to $100 for appreciation of her service to the Ponderosa. Bill moved, Shannon seconded. All approved - motion carries.
- Strategic Plan– Daryn reported several proposed changes to the draft strategic plan. A lengthy discussion followed referencing the plan’s language addressing charging for water usage for operational revenue and/or charging for water usage to increase membership responsibility for water conservation requirements. Daryn asked for a motion to approve the draft 3 year strategic plan editing out the language that refers to charging for water for operational income, and to amend the language about charging for water conservation purposes to the following: “The Board will not charge for water during the next three years, but at some point in the future, Ponderosa Community Club may be forced to charge for water in order to achieve water conservation requirements if other conservation methods such as education and reporting individual member water usage, are not effective.” John moved, Doug seconded. John, Doug, Shannon approved, Bill opposed. Motion carries.
- Fine Schedule – Board discussed at length the proposed addition of zoning code violations to the higher fine schedule for unauthorized water use/hook up, illegal fire and tree cutting on Ponderosa property. This gives authority to Ponderosa Community Club to issue a $250 fine if the Chelan County code enforcement process does not result in correction of the violation. Additional $250 fines would also apply for non-payment of initial fine or situation remains uncorrected after 1 month. Daryn asked for a motion to approve the above changes to Article 17 of the Operational Procedures to impose such fines and enforcement actions on such zoning code violations. John proposed, Doug seconded. All approved – motion carries. The Board directed Mary to update the Operating Procedures with the new rules.
- Ditches and Driveways – Mary Reported Update
Culvert pipes have been delivered. Hot weather has made it difficult for heavy equipment on the paved roads so plan is to start with Arabian, a gravel road. Discussion followed with regards to driveway repairs after culvert pipe installation. Current policy after water main replacement project would apply to culvert pipe placement on PCC right of way. Daryn asked for a motion to approve the current policy to apply for the culvert pipe in the ditches and driveway project. Home owner landscaping and chip sealed driveways restoration within the PCC right of way would be the responsibility of the home owner. John moved, Doug seconded. All approved – motion carries.
12:00 p.m. New Business
- No mid month Executive session is required or scheduled at this time.
- Review Greenbelt Master Trail Plan Proposal
Bill Whitlow, sub committee chair of the greenbelt trails committee, presented the proposed master trail plan to the Board. Bill’s very thorough presentation discussed history of our existing trails, maps to indicate distance and elevation changes, new trails, grade consideration, width and maintenance issues, costs and funding for existing trails and future improvements. Next spring, the tentative document will be finalized for Board consideration. Thanks to Bill Whitlow and Kate Tollefson for their hard work on developing this proposed plan.
- July Fire Evacuation Discussion
Discussion followed on topics encountered during the recent fire threats and evacuation notices, and meetings with the Fire departments to discuss what went wrong and what worked right. Fire Chief Mick Lamar is proactive to formulate ideas that will improve safety, clarify notifications, management of resources and improve first responder’s capabilities. Standby operation of our water system to supply water for needed firefighting operations discussed considering our maintenance staff needs to evacuate. Chelcie was mentioned as going above and beyond to keep communications up to date and forwarding critical data to members and fire personnel.
- Association Manager Report Highlights
Mary reported several highlights of her Manager’s report. A letter will be going out to residents on Colt, Welch and Palomino to stress the need to follow posted signs on the one way roads. Pool inspections passed with good reports.
12:40 p.m. Members Open Floor Questions
- One member asked about clubhouse rental issues. Lively discussion on the subject answered her question.
12:45 p.m. Adjourn to Executive Session
- Daryn asked for a motion to adjourn to Executive session. John moved, Shannon seconded – all approved.
1:26 p.m. Reconvene From Executive Session
1:27 p.m. Adjourn – Daryn asked for a motion to adjourn the Board meeting. John moved, Doug seconded - all approved. Meeting adjourned.