Ponderosa Community Club
BOARD MEETING MINUTES
August 10, 2013 3:00 p.m. – at the Clubhouse
Board Members Attending:
- Daryn Wilbur – President
- John McRoberts – Vice President
- Stan Morgan – Treasurer
- Bill Ham – Secretary
- Mary Cox – Association Manager
Absent: Vern Little, Director of Operations (Excused Absence)
General Members Attending: 4
The meeting was called to order at 3:01 p.m.
3:01 p.m. Pledge of Allegiance to the USA Flag
3:02 p.m. Approval of Prior Board Meeting Minutes – Daryn asked for a motion to accept the previous month’s meeting minutes: July 13, 2013 Board meeting. John moved and Stan seconded – All Approved.
3:02 p.m. Executive Session July 24, 2013 Report – Discussion on calling a Special Member’s Meeting. Subject; water project and paving gravel roads. John moved to call a Special Member’s Meeting Saturday, August 31, 2013 at 9:00 a.m. to update the membership on current water project issues and finances. Paving the remaining gravel roads and estimated costs will be presented to the membership in order for the Board to hear the Member’s input on how to proceed going forward. Stan seconded – All Approved.
3:04 p.m. Treasurer’s Report
Overall we are under budget – 55% of budget used vs. 58% of the year gone by.
- Collected $78,898 in dues during the month. Year to date $13,000 ahead of same time last year.
- Received reimbursement from DNR ($3,836) for Watershed, M&O General and M&O Roads. DNR covered half of our expenses incurred from the cleanup of last winter’s storm damages.
- Social committee on budget for 4 th of July Member’s BBQ.
- Office/Board slightly over budget for special Member’s meeting notice and mailings and toner supplies for office copier.
Water Replacement Project :
- Income – nothing to report. Expenses – Road paving inspection & construction management payment sent to Forsgren. We expect several more invoices, however, we anticipate we will be under the$10,000 Forsgren budget.
Monthly Income & Expenses-Dedicated Items :
Month End Cash :
- $88,789 more in total cash (dues payments).
Past Due :
- 19 people have not paid 2013 dues ($7,465). Water shut off letter will be sent if not paid by end of August.
- Several properties foreclosed, bank indicated it will pay back dues.
- Looking at foreclosing on a lot that currently has no water and lien was filed in 2011.
Transaction Detail Report :
- Everything looks to be in order.
Daryn asked for a motion to approve the Treasurer’s report. John moved, Bill seconded – All Approved, Motion Carries.
3:08 p.m. Old Business – Committee Reports
Paving Gravel Roads – Preparing presentation for special Member’s meeting August 31, 2013.
Three Year Strategic Plan – Bill Griffin has volunteered to chair. Anticipate a two hour session in September to solicitate additional input and members.
Watershed – Watershed Fair was held today – good presentation, low attendance (no free lunch).
Building and Grounds – Playground and ball field in great shape, and waterfront park a great addition to the Ponderosa. Many positive comments from members. Rusty Gibbs is restoring the “Dudley Carter” totem pole carving in front of club house. Looking for a lower cost option to provide a bench for the new riverfront park. Thanks to all of the volunteers who have weeded and maintained the garden areas near the office and clubhouse/pool. Future projects include a new “Ranch Reserve” sign and a new reader board/kiosk next to the clubhouse.
Social Committee – Good volunteer effort on August 31, 2013, Labor Day weekend BBQ.
Pine Needler – Pine Needler articles due August 14. Ponderosa Board President to act as liaison to Needler staff. Of special interest is an article in the Needler to address speeding on Ponderosa roads. Speed limit is 15 mph and there have been many complaints on excessive speeds. Board will review options but a formal policy of enforcement is needed to effectively reduce the speed on our roads.
Water Project Update – Special Member’s meeting set for August 31, 2013 at 9:00 a.m. Granite Construction has a list of repair/follow-up items and final payments will be paid when all items are completed on the paving project. Discussed the method to present the water project/paving of gravel roads data to the membership at the special meeting.
Erickson Tree Cutting – Daryn and Mary made a detailed presentation on the issues associated with the cutting of numerous trees on the Erickson property and the contracted tree cutter. Four trees on Ponderosa right-of-way were cut down. One of those trees most likely would have been granted permit to cut to provide access for an additional drive way, however the three other trees were clearly cut needlessly. A proposed fine of $2,000 ($750 per tree for two and $500 for one). John made motion to impose a fine of $2000 to Cheri Erickson for illegally cutting three trees located in the Ponderosa right-of-way and waiving the fee for a fourth tree ($750) cut in the right-of-way. Seconded by Stan – All Approved, Motion Carries.
3:46 p.m. New Business
- No mid-month Executive Session required in light of special Member’s meeting scheduled.
- Riata and upper Saddle needs grading. Currently 1 ¼ minus gravel was used during water project for a stable bed road way but has suffered wash boarding and needs 5/8 minus from Blewett. Mary getting quotes for gravel plus grading. Discussed costs and approximate bids from Contractors estimated at $14,000 plus tax. Daryn proposed a motion to spend up to $14,000 plus tax for gravel and road repairs on Riata and upper Saddle. John seconded – All Approved, Motion Carries. Road repairs deemed necessary and needed and discussion on funding this project. Will try for a more competitive bid.
2014 Budget Planning :
- Budget needs to be finalized by October 12, 2013 Board meeting and count ballots by November 9, 2013 Board meeting to set 2014 Budget.
- Need line item budget proposals by September Board meeting from all committees.
- Discussed other avenues of income for 2014. Daryn stressed to keep budget in line to avoid dues increase to membership.
Association Manager’s Report Highlights :
- Not using well pump #3. Bill Schmidt thinks the problem may be iron bacteria. Iron bacteria is hard on equipment and will require commercial repair and cleaning. Other pumps providing needed water volumes and pressures.
- Burn ban discussion. Current ban on State parks and USFS. County currently has no burn ban. Daryn to discuss issue with Station 4 and 9 Fire Chief.
- Ponderosa pool awarded a 2 nd place of all County pools by Chelan County inspector’s (no notice) reports. Congratulations to Ken and Geno for a job well done.
4:27 p.m. Member Open Floor Questions
- Several members questioned the water project over budget issues ($212,000). $165,000 to KRCI and rest is essentially legal fees in settlement process with KRCI. KRCI’s original claim was over $800,000. The full details of this question will be presented at the Special Member’s Meeting. The fact is we are short the funding to pay the additional charges and other options will be finalized at that meeting to present the membership its preference for coming up with the funds to pay for this short fall. Daryn’s detailed analysis of the over budget situation to the four members present at this meeting will be presented to all at the special meeting.
4:50 p.m. Adjourn – Move to adjourn to Executive Session. Daryn moved, Stan seconded - All Approved.
5:05 p.m. Reconvene From Executive Session – No issues were voted on.
5:06 p.m. Adjourn – Daryn asked for a motion to adjourn the Board meeting. John seconded – All Approved.