Ponderosa Community Club
BOARD MEETING MINUTES
May 10, 2014 10:30 a.m. – at the Clubhouse
Board Members Attending:
- Daryn Wilbur – President
- Vern Little – Director of Operations
- Stan Morgan – Treasurer
- Bill Ham – Secretary
- Mary Cox – Association Manager
- Absent: John McRoberts – Vice President
General Members Attending: 4
The meeting was called to order by Daryn at 10:35 a.m.
10:35 a.m. Pledge of Allegiance to the USA Flag
10:36 a.m. Approval of Prior Board Meeting Minutes – Daryn asked for a motion to approve the previous month’s April 5 Board meeting minutes. No Executive Session was scheduled for month of April. Vern moved and Stan seconded – all approved.
10:36 a.m. Treasurer’s Report – Stan
Reviewed all reports with Mary, currently year to date we are overall under budget.
- We have collected $15,000 in dues the last month.
- M&O Water over budget due to repairing three wells (pumps, bearings, seals, controls, etc.)
- Additional expenses required for improved lightning protection (a major factor for well maintenance issues).
Forest Management Funds -
- No income reported last month.
- Expenses were paid to Richard Schellhaas our PCC Forester, and quarterly state excise tax payments on logging income.
Dedicated Funds -
- Nothing new to report. Specific water assessment and road paving assessment funds are being collected and placed into their respective accounts.
Past Due Summary -
- Had three water shut offs for past dues.
- One paid, water service restored, two pending and in contact with these members.
Transaction Detail Report -
- Reviewed report and everything looks to be in order.
Daryn asked for a motion to approve the Treasurer’s report. Bill moved, Vern seconded-all approved.
10:39 a.m. Old Business – Committee Reports
Three Year Strategic Plan –
- Discussion tabled to next board meeting.
Building and Grounds –
- Nancy Melson, Committee Chair, had a written report on current projects.
- Lorelie Olson weeded and placed bark in the pool gardens area with other members of committee.
- Damaris Bartlett refinishing clubhouse table tops.
- Cooperative work with Watershed/Greenbelt Committee for signage within Ponderosa and on trails.
- Special thanks to Ken and Geno for playground maintenance.
Social Committee –
- The 2014 social events are now posted on the website, referencing 4 th of July picnic and parade and other activities.
- Daryn asked for discussion on previous planning and budget process for all committees. Stan had drafted an addition to the Operating Procedures Article 7 under planning and budget process to define miscellaneous budget items. This policy would allow a miscellaneous category in the budget, however if such an expense would exceed $100.00 then committee would have to secure the approval of the Board member overseeing that committee prior to that expense.
Daryn asked for a motion to approve the new language for miscellaneous committee expenses, Vern moved, Bill seconded – all approved. Motion carries and committee chairs will be notified of policy change.
Watershed Committee –
- Units 1 and 2 remaining logging will restart in late summer or fall when forest goes in dormant cycle. Elite Logging will still plan to haul cut logs to market.
- Bartholomew Logging still working in lower greenbelt areas.
- Unit 9 should be completed in a couple of weeks and will be available for members to check out the greenbelt completed Lupine Trail.
- Working with Buildings and Grounds Committee for trail and flower signs in the greenbelt areas.
- All units should be logged and slash piles chipped up by mid June prior to pine bark beetle.
- Pete Maxxon, the chipper operator will be very busy the next month chipping slash and mulching logging areas. He will navigate through the greenbelt system to avoid driving his tracked machine on the paved roads.
- Doug reported once again our forest management plan would pay for itself from logging income from Units 1 and 2, and from DNR cost share grants. We should expect the first soon.
- Doug has applied for all available funds and grants from the DNR and is pleased to report our forest management program has received numerous recognition as a model example.
- The entire Board wishes to thank Doug and the Watershed Committee for their time and energy to benefit all members with this successful forest management plan and process.
Ditch and Driveway System Updated -
- Mary reported this project will be named Ditch and Driveway System as so named in document dated March 13, 2004 to address roads, ditches, and driveways within the Ponderosa.
- Mary working with Vern and Jesse Perrault to update this policy for current conditions.
- Several ditch and driveway storm drainage problem areas impact Ponderosa roads. Implementing this plan would involve members purchasing 10” or 12” culvert pipe for driveways that cross the bar ditch or if a new bar ditch is required where one does not exist. Ponderosa would install and maintain the culvert.
- Actual costs would be researched and Ponderosa could buy pipe in bulk and then membership would purchase at cost from Ponderosa. Estimate cost at this time $215-$250. Current specs would require a 10” or 12” culvert pipe. A narrower plugged pipe would be of no use.
- Installation costs either in house or from local excavation companies is in the planning stages at this time.
- Consideration for installation in areas prior to chip sealing, gravel roads, and high volume steeper grade roads and ditches.
- Identifying required materials, pipe, gravel, and labor at this time.
- Plan update would be addressed at general membership meeting.
- Further Board discussion and approval at subsequent meetings.
- Special thanks to Jesse Perrault for his expertise and willingness to help with this project.
11:30 a.m. New Business
No mid month Executive Session required or scheduled at this time.
25408 Riata Road –
- Mr. Peter Norris’ family home at 25408 Riata Road suffered a water line break December 3, and 60,000 to 80,000 gallons of water cut through the property and swept away a significant portion of the hillside allowing the rear portion of the house to stand exposed over a steep hillside. Nick Waters of Waters Excavation is the Contractor and Nelson Geotechnical is the engineering company for the restoration of the house and hillside. Peter Norris is seeking permission to work in the greenbelt adjacent to his property. After a lengthy discussion with Mr. Waters and Peter Norris with the Board’s concerns for safety, hold harmless concerns, greenbelt restoration, any needed road repairs, and potential water run-off from construction work areas would be addressed to Board’s satisfaction in writing by the next Board meeting.
Daryn asked for a motion to approve Peter Norris’ temporary use of adjacent greenbelt area pending receipt of written documentation of Board’s requested assurances. Vern moved, Stan seconded – all approved.
Finalize Annual Member’s Meeting Agenda –
- Board reviewed potential agenda items and allocated time for each item.
- A review of accomplishments and current accomplishments would be included in the agenda.
- Richard Schellhaas our forester will have a 20 minute window for a presentation of our forest management plan for Ponderosa common areas, greenbelt trails and park reserve. This would be in addition to Doug Pendleton’s Watershed Committee report.
Daryn asked for a motion to approve the agenda items as discussed and finalized. Vern moved, Bill seconded – all approved.
Association Manager’s Report Highlights -
- Well 6 starter repaired, no replacement needed.
- Reservoir repairs at $3,000, about one half of projected repair costs.
- Ken installing pool heat pump purchased last year and during install, the second older pump was found to be defective and leaking as well. May have to purchase a new second heat pump if Ken’s repair of old doesn’t work.
- The pool will be ready for opening day May 24.
12:33 p.m. Members Open Floor Questions
- No questions, but one comment on good job for the Board’s efforts.
12:35 p.m. Meeting Adjourned to Executive Session
12:55 p.m. Reconvene From Executive Session
12:56 p.m. Adjourn – Daryn asked for a motion to adjourn the Board meeting. Vern moved, Stan seconded - all approved. Meeting adjourned.