Ponderosa Community Club
BOARD MEETING MINUTES
February 13, 2016, 8:05 a.m. at the Ponderosa Clubhouse
Board Members Attending:
- Daryn Wilbur – President
- Ken Paauw – Vice President
- Doug Barga – Director of Operations
- Shannon Stithem – Treasurer
- Tim Abel - Secretary
- Brad Ulrich – Association Manager
General Members Attending: 9
The meeting was called to order by Daryn at 8:05 a.m.
8:07 a.m. Approval of Prior Board Meeting Minutes – Daryn asked for a motion to approve the Board meeting minutes from December. Shannon moved to accept, Doug seconded – all approved.
8:08 a.m. Treasurer’s Report – Shannon reported we are a little under budget with 8% of the year in the books. The only item we are over budget is the M&O budget due to the snow load this year. Even then, we are doing better than last year in this area.
Also, a discussion was held regarding investing $90,083 of water funds in a GESA account @ 1.6% for 36 months. Concerns were raised about the way GESA handled our last business, however GESA offers the best return on our investment. A decision was made to move forward on this but only after having a discussion with the bank manger. Ken moved. Doug seconded. All approved.
Daryn made a motion to approve Treasurer’s Report, Ken moved, Doug seconded.
8:11 a.m. Old Business – Committee Reports
- Watershed – Doug Pendleton
Busy drafting up the master trail plans. Be sure to attend the meetings.
- Social – Game nite was a success with 18 people taking part. Plans are there to do this every month. Stay tuned!
- Buildings and Grounds – Issues regarding street signage was discussed, beginning with replacing the misspelled Appaloosa street sign. The Board also discussed exploring the cost of replacing all Ponderosa street signs with standard, reflective road signs so that they are more visible and helpful. Primitive Park/Camp 12 Road was mentioned as a problem due to the dual title of the road.
- Board Meeting Minutes – In an effort to get the meeting minutes out to the Ponderosa members in a more timely manner, the board members agreed to release a draft of the meeting minutes as soon as possible following a Board Meeting so that members will have some idea of what was covered. The meeting minutes will not be official until approved at the next Board Meeting, as is required.
- Update On Saddle Property – A new wrinkle came up regarding the Board’s ongoing attempts to convert the Saddle property to Greenbelt status. Ponderosa membership must show its support by a 51% margin, requiring membership signatures on a petition to approve this money-saving measure. Further clarification on some of the wordage in the document is also required before the Board moves on this.
- Review Water Loan Repayment Plan – The Board reviewed the repayment plan, starting this year (2016) and ending in 2035. Loan has been closed and now we just have to pay the $3M loan off.
8:46 a.m. New Business
- Topics For Mid-Month Executive Meeting - Daryn suggested scheduling a mid-month meeting to discuss personnel matters. February 29 th @ 7 P.M.
- Ponderosa air compressor: is broken. As it is a key piece of equipment in keeping things running around the Ponderosa, the Board felt it important to use M&O money to replace this ancient air compressor.
- Replacing Fluorescent lights in office and shop – These LED bulbs would save membership money… eventually. However the Board balked doing a bulk replacement at this time, feeling it would be a less of a punch in the financial budget gut if we just replaced these bulbs with the more efficient LEDs as we go.
- Association Manager’s Report – A lot of snow this year requiring a lot of repairs. Sander unit broke some hydraulics on our big plow truck but, for now, it’s been patched to get us through the rest of the winter.
Daryn suggested we consider making a directive for the sand shed to be filled in May each year to avoid all the extra problems we run into when we fill it later in the year.
The webcam idea is still being kicked around. Do we spend membership money for an on-line webcam? Voice your support/arguments against.
Ken revisited the idea of studying the way other private communities are run. Several communities were mentioned as feasible study models and will be investigated.
Light Trespass! This is a law, folks. We enjoy our night sky in the Ponderosa. It is just one of the many quality-of-life facets of living here in our beautiful community. Please keep your yard light to yourself. Many alternatives and modifications are available. Motion sensors or automatic lights are awesome! Shields will knock down that light before it can flood into a neighbor’s property. Check around for other ideas.
9:17 a.m. Members Open Floor Questions
- A member on Appaloosa brought up that his road is not being plowed on a timely or regular basis. He reported it has sometimes been days before being plowed, adding that this seems to be an annual occurrence. Another member mentioned the same is happening on their road. Daryn reported there is a plow plan in place and spelled out on the Ponderosa website, should you have any questions. If plowing is being neglected on certain roads, report it so we can look into the matter.
- A consensus of Board members and those attending the meeting revealed no one was in favor of allowing snowmobiles on greenbelt trails. Ever.
- The RH-2 lawsuit was brought up. Daryn gave an update on this ongoing matter.
9:46 a.m. Adjourn to Executive Session – Daryn motioned, Ken moved, allapproved.
11:05 a.m. Reconvene From Executive Session
- The Board approved funds for the RH-2 dispute.
11:06 a.m. Adjourn – Daryn asked for a motion to adjourn the Board meeting. Doug moved, Shannon seconded - all approved. Meeting adjourned.