Ponderosa Community Club
ANNUAL MEMBER’S MEETING MINUTES
May 24, 2014 10:00 a.m. – at the Clubhouse
Board Members Attending:
- Daryn Wilbur – President
- John McRoberts – Vice President
- Vern Little – Director of Operations
- Stan Morgan – Treasurer
- Bill Ham – Secretary
- Mary Cox – Association Manager
General Members Attending: 60 Member Households/86 Individuals Present
The meeting was called to order by Daryn at 10:05 a.m.
10:05 a.m. Pledge of Allegiance to the USA Flag
10:06 a.m. Welcome by Daryn Wilbur – Ponderosa Community Club President
- Daryn introduced the Board members, Mary Cox the Association Manager and named Chelcie Strode-Office Manager, Ken Severance and Geno Alejo, Caretaker and Maintenance staff.
- Posted meeting agenda and meeting rules.
10:07 a.m. Review of Accomplishments and Current Projects
Budget: Stan Morgan, Treasurer
- Highlighted three elements that make up Ponderosa Community Club dues. Dues did increase this year 1 ½% but first increase in three years. Dues include:
Annual financial review is complete and copy is available for pick up at the meeting or office.
Stan’s last Board meeting-thank you Stan for three years dedication to your community.
- M&O budget to cover the entire operation of the Ponderosa Community Club. M&O expenses were under budget for 2013 and year to date 2014 maintaining under budget status.
- Road assessment-members approved a $240/year two year assessment to chip seal the remaining gravel roads. Year to date we have collected $117,000 towards an estimated cost of $275,000-$325,000 to complete project.
- Water assessment-water assessment $316/year to pay for $3.5 million loan to complete the new water system. This assessment ends 2035.
Operations: Vern Little, Director of Operations
- Objective to keep our community safe, accessible and attractive.
- Acknowledged Ken and Geno for their day to day hard work and their attention to detail to maintain our roads, water system, buildings and grounds, swimming pool, equipment and resources.
- Water system-requires ongoing maintenance of pumps, valves, controls, reservoirs, water mains and lines. Programmed water meters as required by the State. Mapped out fire hydrants and as built documentation to the Fire department. Maintained high marks on all water quality and Department of Health tests.
- Roads maintained with repairs as needed, extra gravel, grading, ditches and culverts cleaned. Winter snow plowing and clean-up from storm damage. Identify future bar ditch and driveway culvert requirements. Maintain the heavy equipment to accomplish these tasks.
- Swimming pool-passed all Health Department inspections with high marks. Replaced the pool furnace and both heat pumps, due to failures of old equipment. New units use less than half the propane to heat the pool.
- Vern’s last Board meeting-thank you Vern for your three years of dedication and efforts to maintain this community as a desirable place to live, work and play.
Communication: Daryn, President
- Needler published four times/year.
- Damaris Bartlett, Maureen Mitchell and Thomas Clauson are the Pine Needler committee. Thanks to them for keeping the Needler as an important communication tool for the membership. Thanks also to Tim Olson for his many years on the Needler staff.
- Ponderosa Community Club website managed by Rose Ann and John McRoberts. Updating our current website is in progress. Volunteers to help are encouraged. Future plans are to have a members-only private section protected with passwords to log on to protect our financials and members only information.
- Daryn on behalf of the committee thanked the Ponderosa staff; Mary Cox, Chelcie Strode, Ken Severance, and Geno Alejo for their hard work and dedication to the betterment of the Ponderosa and its members.
- Daryn also thanked all the committee chairs and their volunteer members who have contributed many, many hours of service work for the benefit of the membership. Many of those mentioned by name served in multiple situations. Daryn asked the membership to please consider volunteering in the many opportunities that are available according to personal interest or skills. The Ponderosa would greatly appreciate the additional help and the Board recognizes the value of this volunteer spirit.
- Mary updated the membership on the handout from the Buildings and Grounds committee report. Nancy Melson, Chair highlighted the many projects and maintenance issues the committee has addressed and thanked the volunteer members for their many hours of service to the community.
- Mary reported for Marisha Robinson on the upcoming Social committee events. A handout highlighted the upcoming events for 4 th of July, Labor Day, and Christmas decorating and lighting. Those wishing to help Marisha please contact her.
- Doug Pendleton, Chair for the Watershed committee thanked the many volunteers who have helped to develop this committee to what it is today. Sub-committees of the Watershed group are:
- Plants Committee-Pam Nicklas
- Trails Committee-Bill Whitlow
- Riverside Park-Tom Bartlett
- Wildfire Risk Management/Fire Wise-Bruce Merighi
- Forest Management-Doug Pendleton
A brief description and summary of each sub-committee was presented by their respective chair. Doug also repeated his call for additional volunteer help.
- Strategic Plan-Daryn reported the Strategic Plan committee will present its draft plan at the next Board meeting.
- Ditches and driveways-Daryn reported on efforts to address runoff issues. A 2004 Board policy letter was reviewed and updated for current and future requirements to correct and or improve these run off issues. Watch for further information on bar ditches and culvert pipe requirements.
- RH2 dispute update-Daryn updated the membership on the ongoing dispute with RH2 (engineering and construction management during the water main replacement project). The Board feels they are directly responsible for cost overruns and increased costs for road repairs and paving. Vern Little, Director of Operations has met with RH2 numerous times to reach a reasonable settlement. To date, they have rejected any and all settlement. The Board has secured legal representation from Nicole Hay on our claim against RH2. The Ponderosa legal fees will be a portion of settlement awards. Board’s plan is for as close to a $0 risk as possible for our pursuit of claims against RH2. A question and answer period followed. Subject matter is privileged legal information and could find its way to be used against us in court or potential settlements. Daryn expressed the Board’s intent to recover extra costs the membership has incurred at the least possible risk. The Board asks that if RH2 or its representatives contact any member or initiates correspondence that they notify the Board or Association Manager of such.
- Road paving remaining gravel roads-Daryn reported on status of project. Two year assessment to fund the project and should be complete next summer (2015). Bids will go out May/June 2015 and projected completion target date is August 15, 2015. Please pay dues on time so the assessment fund will be fully paid prior to construction start.
11:10 a.m. Forest Management
- Doug Pendleton introduced Richard Schellhaas our forester to implement the forest stewardship plan crafted in 2011. Overall concern is for fire danger, health of the forest and wildlife habitat, and recreational opportunities for Ponderosa Community Club members.
- Standard forest service best practices, thinning and Richard’s plan to restore our forest and greenbelt areas have resulted in matching grants from DNR for clean-up costs from logging operations. The project is being lauded by local agencies and held up as an example for other communities to follow, and recognized by the State DNR and other agencies as a textbook example. Total cost for logging (thinning) and forest clean-up will be from revenue from sale of logs and matching grants from DNR. It is a win-win solution to the Ponderosa common lands/forest. Over half the land in the Ponderosa is private property and each member land owner is responsible for their property to follow the intent of our forest stewardship plan. Contact Doug Pendleton for further information. Please sign up for the FireWise program to make our individual homes defensible against fire danger to make our community safe. Trail restoration will occur in common areas following the logging/clean-up issues. Volunteer help will be helpful. Contact Bill Whitlow to volunteer.
11:35 a.m. Ballot Results
- Daryn expressed thanks and praise for the Board members retiring after three years of service; Stan Morgan, Treasurer and Vern Little, Director of Operations.
- Daryn introduced the candidates for vacant Board members; Doug Barga and Shannon Stithem to the membership. Ballot results confirmed their appointments to the Board. Welcome aboard.
- Results are as follows
- Doug Barga – 144
- Shannon Stithem – 120
- Write in votes:
- Brad Wittman – 1
- Gary Winkels – 1
- All Board members signed the Ponderosa Community Club code of conduct. Jeanne Whitlow read the code of conduct to the membership.
11:40 a.m. Member Open Floor Questions and Comments
- No questions presented but two members expressed comments of thanks to the Board, Ponderosa staff, and all member volunteers.
11:41 a.m. Adjourn – Daryn asked for a motion to adjourn the general membership meeting. John moved, Bill seconded - all approved. Meeting adjourned.
11:45 a.m. New Board Executive Session – Determine Board positions.
11:55 a.m. Reconvene from Executive Session – New Board positions are as follows:
- President-Daryn Wilbur
- Vice President-John McRoberts
- Director of Operations-Doug Barga
- Treasurer-Shannon Stithem
- Secretary-Bill Ham
11:56 a.m. Adjourn – Daryn asked for a motion to adjourn the meeting. Bill moved and John seconded – all approved. Meeting adjourned.